Sunday, August 7, 2011

On Fairy Tales and Happily Ever Afters

Reposted from my old blog dated January 2008 (right after a heartbreak and just starting a relationship with my then-boyfriend / now-husband)

I used to believe in fairy tales and happily ever afters... my own prince charming, a castle somewhere far, far away, enchanted friends... and for a while i thought i was living my own fairy tale. It wasn't magical or anything, but I was happy and I was contented and I thought life was perfect - I had my own happily ever after. But it wasn't. Just like any other fairy tale, mine had a villain. And in my story, my villain was also my prince.

Reality: The same person I loved had hurt me. And I thought I could never move on. It took me months of self-pity, buckets of tears, no ounce of self respect, a thousand advices from friends, liters and liters of alcohol, dozens of comforting hugs, a couple of bad dates, a long vacation, moving furniture around the house to remove bad karma, no appetite for food, a lot of self-help books... the list goes on.... I was stumped. Hard, but I was moving on.

Somebody told me that Time doesn't heal all wounds, but a new love surely will. And I believed that. True, I was moving on. It's not that I still loved him the same, maybe it was just my ego talking, saying that he couldn't be happy, not until I was completely happy. I'm not being selfish here. I just knew that I deserved to be happy before he does. And so began my quest to find my new love. But I couldn't find him. Nobody even came close. And just when I had given up, love came when I least expected it. It wasn't even love at first sight or anything absolutely romantic. We just took our time..... A new chapter in my life, and I couldn't be happier. I don't know where all this is going but I am hoping only for the best. I learned from experience not to believe in forever but to live for NOW.

But truth be told, I am still keeping my fingers crossed that this is IT. (and yes, this is it!)

So ask me now if I still believe in fairy tales and happily ever afters. My answer would be NO. There are no happy endings, we were just made to believe from fairy tales that says "and they live happily ever after..." because in real life, most of it are just once upon a time... it is up to you what you want your ending to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment