Sunday, August 7, 2011

Angel in the Sky: What Dreams May Become

Reposted from my old blog dated March 2007 (with a little updating)

When I was younger I used to dream of the sky; that I was inside a plane, looking out at the clouds, and going to places I learned about in school. My cousins and I would argue whether the clouds looked like cotton candy or cotton balls from up above, or whether we could see the birds flying from where we were, or if everything down below really looked like ants as we've heard.

I have always wanted to see Disneyland, but as I grew older I became fascinated with making it to Egypt to go on an archelogical dig and go to Hawaii or the Bahamas and see if the beaches are really as wonderful as everyone says it is. I dream of seeing the Eiffel Tower and going there with someone special as it is and will always be the City of (Love) for me. I obsessed about meeting Prince William during Diana's death because I believed he was MY Prince Charming. I loved Gladiator so much I wanted to see what the Colloseo was like. Go on a pilgrimage in Jerusalem, see real snow, see the Eight Wonders of the World... There are just so many places I have always wanted to see and things I wanted to do.

But everything changed. When I had my little boy, let's just say my priorities changed. For a while, I let go of my dreams. I forgot that I wanted things. At that moment all I want to have is a big happy family. But fate intervened. And somehow, all my dreams appeared right in front of me, and I took it.

Now, I don't just dream of the sky. I actually know what it's like to be so near it. I now know that on certain days the clouds look like cotton balls, on some like cotton candy, and on some there just aren't any clouds in the sky. And yes, everything looks like ants from up above.

I have made a childhood dream come true and had gawked at all the colors of Disneyland and seen Mickey and Minnie up close and someday soon, when he's old enought to really appreciate it, I will take my little boy, too. I still haven't gone on an archeological dig but I had seen the pyramids of Egypt and the Nile from 30,000 feet above the ground. I now know of the beaches of Seychelles and Mauritius and Malta. The City of (Love) remains to be a dream I will fulfill with the person I had chosen to spend my lifetime with, but I had seen the beaches in Nice, France and had visited Monaco-Monte Carlo as a bonus--right during the Grand Prix! Sadly, Prince William was not MY Prince Charming but at least I got to see the Buckingham Palace and shopped at Harrods and had my first taste of Krispy Kreme in London. I have had my Gladiator Moment and let me tell you, it was one I will never forget. I ended up crying upon seeing real snow for the first time in Moscow, Russia but realized that I just was not cut out for such a cool climate. I have never gone to Jerusalem, or seen all of the Wonders (only one, the Great Wall of China)... but I had been to other places and experienced other things that had never crossed my mind when I was younger. For a while, I have experienced the world...

I dream of more, but my number 1 priority will always be my family. I always love being home with my son and my husband. Giving up a dream was one of the hardest things I had to do, but being away from the people you loved was even harder.

I used to dream. I still do. And if people think I didn't deserve to be so close to the sky, then they don't know just how much I had to go through to see the view from the top.

Having a dream fulfilled is a blessing that I will forever be thankful for, but at one point we all have to wake up from the dream and face reality, beacuse sometimes, reality is even better than what we expect.

No comments:

Post a Comment